Monday, April 17, 2006

Welcome, to the machine

So here I sit, Monday morning, in a small box, inside a large box, in the middle of a big group of boxes. Every now and then I get an unusual amount of perspective of my surroundings and life. Today was one of those days.

I couldn’t help but notice, once more, the mundane aspects of my life. Morning commute, 4 hours of work, lunch, 4 more hours of work, commute home, gym, shower, maybe an hour of TV or video games, perhaps some reading, and then bed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Fortunately, unlike my predicament a year ago, my time spent on the job is much more enjoyable. Still, sitting in traffic in the morning, looking at all the other faces that contain the same pathetic, tired, dreadful faces, making bodies that are just shells of what they could be, it makes me wonder why we do it at all. Is it so we can buy things? Is it so we can be “powerful,” “wealthy,” “successful?”

I’ll probably never know the answer to those questions, and if, for some odd reason, I do figure it out, the odds are it will be far too late in my life to truly take advantage of it.

-Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home