Tuesday, April 11, 2006

So freaking tired

I’ve been having trouble falling asleep lately, which is weird since when I’m asleep I feel like I’m sleeping more soundly. I’m not sure why I’ve been having trouble, although Bebe says it’s because I’m playing video games up until I come to bed. Personally, I don’t think that’s it, since I’m not doing anything different than I did before.

She, on the other hand, is doing something different, she’s not getting up as early since she’s now finished with teaching. This means, she doesn’t go to bed as early. Now, don’t get me wrong here, but I don’t hang out in the bedroom unless it’s time for bed. I’ve never been a TV in the bed type of guy. Even on Sundays, I’m usually up and walking around while I have Meet The Press on. Nicole, on the other hand, sits in bed basically all day. She rarely leaves the bedroom, other than to do school work, and now that she has her laptop, she won’t even leave to do that anymore.

This puts me in a predicament. When I come downstairs, I’m ready for bed. I don’t have and “process” I have to go through to go to bed, I just take my clothes off and get under the covers, end of story. Bebe has a whole ordeal she goes through. She takes the dog out. Then she takes her makeup off. Then she puts stuff away that’s lying out. Then, when she gets to bed, she wants to talk. I wouldn’t have a problem with any of this, if she started before I came to bed. I figure, I’m loosing around an hour a night to her “activities” prior to sleep. This might be part of it.

Usually I come to bed around 9 or so, which results in me getting to bed around ten or so, since by then she’s done with her stuff and is finally ready to sleep. Lately I’ve been coming to bed later, around ten, hoping to skip the hour process I deal with now, and thus get another productive hour in my evening. This idea hasn’t worked, since it just delays her getting ready for bed.

What I can’t figure out is how she isn’t tired. Even when she was getting up at the same time or before me she still did this in the evening. I think it’s because she still takes naps, almost every evening, for at least an hour. I’m not one to tell someone when they can and can’t sleep, or how often, but it’s starting to take a toll on me. I’m less patient in the afternoon, lose my temper more often, and am overly groggy in the morning, and it’s not fair. Getting Bebe to leave the bedroom for me to go to bed early is such a hassle, the guilt trip and all the other shit I have to deal with, just isn’t worth it. This is going to stop. I’ll bring it up to her tonight, and after she gets all pissed and says I’m dumb, I’ll keep pressing until she gives in because she really doesn’t have a choice.

I don’t think asking someone who isn’t going to bed to leave is too much to ask. Lord knows I don’t ask much else of her. I don’t think having some rules about using the bedroom more for sleep, and less as her office, is absurd or “dumb.”

I’ll let you know how this goes. Something tells me it won’t go smoothly.

-Steve

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me, that if you were considerate towards other people, you would understand and have no problem 'leaving the room' when someone wants to go to bed.

It'd certainly piss me off to finally get to sleep and then have someone want to chat and all that other bullshit.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home