Monday, October 31, 2005

Ring a ding ding

I went to the NASCAR race yesterday. It was yet another in a series of interesting times are NASCAR races.
 
First, the traffic was so bad that we missed the start of the race. We didn't get to our seats until about lap 20 or so.
 
Second, the woman four seats down to me was arrested for smoking marijuana in the middle of the stands. This was ticking off me and many of the people around us. I mean, it's one thing to do whatever you want when you are at home, but out in public, I mean, come on. There were little kids around and families, there's no excuse for acting like that.
 
Third, my hearing is shot. My ears have been ringing non stop since we left the race yesterday. I usually get headset scanners so I can listen to the radio broadcast and drivers over their radio, but I cheaped out this time. Boy, that was a big mistake. I should have spent the 10 bucks to get ear plugs. Hopefully this will not be a long term problem.
 
I took a lot of pictures of the event and loaded them to my computer. I'll post them up later today.
 
Looks like Bush picked his new nominee to the Supreme Court today. This guy sounds like the right wing hard liner that all the reds were screaming at Harriet Miers for not being. Should be a pain in the ass for them to get through senate confirmation hearings. My question is this, if Harriet Miers was "the most qualified" in his initial search, does this mean  Samuel Alito  is the second most qualified person? We're getting the second string?
 
Personally, I don't like the looks of this guy. He's got arrogant white rich guy written all over him. I could be wrong, but I'm probably not. What kills me about all of this is really how much of a hypocrite the right is on judges. They say they don't want judges to legislate from the bench (i.e. make rulings that force things into accepted law that can't pass through legislatures) but want to do the same f'ing thing with abortion. They can't get abortion banned through the legislatures so they want to get a judge in place that can over rule Roe v. Wade. Sounds like legislating from the bench to me, but that's right, it's okay for them to do it because their republicans.
 
What amazes me is the amount of time and money put into stopping women from having abortions for children that these same people will refuse to help raise once they are born. But that's the mantra of the republican right, love the fetus, hate the child.
 
Personally, give out birth control freely to all who want it and you won't have to worry about all of these abortions since people would be able to have sex without worrying about unwanted pregnancy (see posts from a few weeks back). But that's just me, and I must be a heathen.
 
As I said, I'll have the pictures from the race up later today.
 
-O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home