Tuesday, April 18, 2006

New diet

As I’ve noted here before, I got a gym membership and started working out again back in February. Here we are in mid April and I’ve gotten back a good deal of the muscle mass I once had. Believe it or not, my 6’3” frame once weight close to 240 pounds. I was bulky but not ripped, and still looked good with my shirt off, but I wasn’t going to be on the cover of “Underwear Model Monthly” if you know what I mean. When I stopped working out, I dropped down to 220, and slowly with exercise and diet got back down to around 195 or so.

I’ve been lifting pretty seriously again and eating right and got about 10 pounds back. I look much leaner now than I did before, and have concentrated my training better to give me a more well rounded look. However, I still don’t have the definition I want. So, I started to diet a bit differently now, something I’ve had a good amount of success with in the past.

Basically, it breaks down like this; I try to avoid sugar at all costs. This is actually easier than it sounds. First, change my bread to low-sugar bread. I usually eat about two loafs of Nature’s Own whole wheat bread. This provides me tons of complex carbs, whole grains, and a good amount of fiber. Problem it, it also has a good amount of carbs and still more sugar than I’d like. So, switching to the low sugar brand cuts the calories of each slice down to 40, and ups the protein per slice from 3 to 6. I still get a good amount of fiber ad the whole grains. Second, no more potato chips. Starches are turned into sugar in your blood. Potatoes are very high on the glycemic index, so they turn really fast into sugar. I recently bought a four pack of Better Made potato chips from Michigan, while they were very tastey, they’re not something I need. I don’t normally eat chips anyway, so not eating them anymore won’t be a big deal. Third, no more baked Cheeze-its for lunch. I have a small bagful of these during lunch. It’s not a lot and won’t make a huge difference, but every little bit helps. Fourth, no more pizza. This will be tough, since I enjoy a good calzone one a week or so. However, the mount of starch I get from the white bread is enough to cancel out all the ret of the day, and I can’t afford that. Other than the four items I mentioned above, the rest is just trying to minimize random sugar encounters. These can be bread rolls with dinner, pasta dishes when you go out to eat, the random French fry, and other non normal items. I figure by following this routine, I should lose a good five pounds by June, which will help cut me up a good deal.

I’ll keep training hard and eating my protein, and the results should speak for themselves soon enough.

-Steve

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I supscribe to "Underwear Model Monthly." If I get an issue with you on the cover, I'm burning it.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home