Friday, April 21, 2006

I'm all growns up now...

I’ve come to the sad realization that I’m losing my hair. Bebe first brought up that she thought I was thinning a few years back. I was still in college and didn’t pay her much heed. I’ve always had thick hair, being that my actual hair follicles were thick, but not dense hair, being that the hair follicles per square inch were average at best. Still, I had a healthy head of hair and it looked good. Then I started to notice that my widows peak was starting to thin. I figure it was because I was wearing a hat too much, so I stopped. As time has gone on the front of my head has gotten less and less dense and now it looks like the same is the case for the crown of my head.

It’s interesting that I’m losing my hair for two reasons. First, my hair is like my mothers side of the family, very thick. No one on my mother’s side is going bald, at least not that I’m aware of, and they all basically have the same coarse hair like I do. Second, my father’s side of the family has male pattern baldness, as does my father. However, my two brothers have hair like my dad, they’re the ones who are supposed to be losing their hair, not me. Yet, here I sit, faced with the realization that I’m going to be bald, and I can’t say I’m happy with it.

It’s not so much that going bald is an issue, because it’s not. It’s that I’m not going to look very good bald. Some guys can pull it off, but that’s due to the shape of their face, which is usually round with a strong chin. Me on the other hand have a pointy head and a soft chin but with a strong jaw. I mean, I’m a good looking guy, but my head isn’t the type of shape you want to see bald. I keep looking at my head going, “This isn’t going to be pretty.”

Bebe things I need to talk to the dermatologist about it, see if there really is anything I can do about it. I said there are really only two things that work which don’t require surgery, Rogaine and Propecia. However, I only think those are successful for about 40% of the people who try them, not very good odds. I mean, do you even talk to a dermatologist about hair loss, or is that your regular doctor? I can’t afford that type of stuff if it’s not covered by insurance anyway. Regardless, I’ve got to go to a dermatologist anyway to talk about this mole I have on my neck. It’s starting to bother me, I cut it a lot when shaving, so I guess I’ll ask when I’m there…it can’t hurt.

I’m getting my hair cut this weekend, and I think I’m going to start keeping it shorter than I have been. I don’t know about you, but I’ve always thought guys with thinning hair look better if they keep it short, so that’s what I’m going to do.

-Steve

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, as you get older, any hair you lose on your head, you'll get right back in your ears, in your nose, and on your back.

It'll be a nice trade.

Also, if you're losing it up front, you could always just grow it long in the back. That way people won't think you're losing it, they'll just assume it's crawling backwards on your head.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home