Friday, July 14, 2006

AP Poll: Republicans in danger of losing Congress

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republicans are in jeopardy of losing their grip on Congress in November.

With less than four months to the midterm elections, the latest Associated Press-Ipsos poll found that Americans by an almost 3-to-1 margin hold the GOP-controlled Congress in low regard and profess a desire to see Democrats wrest control after a dozen years of Republican rule….

"They used to say there's nothing worse than a tax-and-spend liberal Democrat," said Gary Wilson, 51, a self-described liberal from Gaithersburg, Maryland. "There is something worse: It's a borrow-and-spend Republican. This is going to come back to haunt us."

 

Read the whole article here.

 

I’m not going to say my party, the Democrats, is the answer to all the problems facing the nation now, because we’re not. I’m not going to say that they’re the best party to figure out all of the problems facing the nation right now, because we’re not. However, things are way to lopsided to the right in Federal Government right now for things to continue on effectively. The opposition has little power to do anything, and thus the only true conflict is within the Republican Party itself (for an example, see the immigration debate). The Supreme Court is now booked to lean to the right a bit more, and I’m fine with that, that’s the Presidents right whether I agree or not. But something’s got to change in congress.

I do know one thing, these conversations on amendments for a ban on gay marriage and amendments on flag burning don’t help anyone out. These things don’t put food on the table of struggling single moms who only make minimum wage. You know what the biggest threat to marriage is? Its not gays. It’s divorce.

I think congress is most effective when it’s as close to 50-50 as possible, preferably with the party in power being the opposite of the President and having a slight advantage. I don’t need to see the Democrats take over everything, because there are some good Republicans out there who bring up valid view points that one has to consider (McCain, Graham, and Spector). Sure, I may not agree with them, but their objections are valid view points and need to be included in debates.

Anyway, this election should be interesting. I’m a big political election junkie, so I’ll probably take the day after the election off since I’ll be up all night watching the results.

On a side note, as long as Cathy Cox beats primary candidate Mark Taylor I should start popping up in commercials on TV soon. That’s a big if though, as the race has been tight and I fear regardless of who wins, both may be too damaged to be able to run a credible race against the strong incumbent Sonny Perdue (who I think is a douche, but hey, that’s me).

-Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home