Thursday, June 01, 2006

Ah the 90s

After getting back from the gym, eating some dinner, and watching Lou Dobbs be very angry and disgusted for an hour, I spent most of my evening putting together a new play list for my iPod. Typically putting a play list together only takes a few minutes. However, this was a play list that recreates the top 99 most requested songs ever from 99X “The New Rock Alternative,” rock station here in Atlanta.

While I had about 25% of the songs already, many of them I had to download again because either the CD I owned with them was stolen, or I had just never owned it to begin with.

Putting the list together took me back, to a better time so to speak, a time when the new sound came from a town named Seattle, Rap was enjoying its golden era as the East and West coast feuded, and Rock ruled the airwaves. It was like I was in the mid nineties all over again. Pearl Jam, Beck, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, and Red Hot Chili Peppers littered the play list with Nirvana having the most songs, including the number 3 and 1 spot with “Come as You Are” and “Smells Like Teen Spirit” respectively. There were some other great bands on there such as Alice in Chains, Bush, and Green Day all making strong showings, even NIN made two appearances. There were some more modern songs on the list from Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The Killers, The White Stripes, and even one from Evanescence.

However, ignoring the littering of more recent songs, it made me feel like I was back in high school again, when I was obsessed with music. The era of the CD was supreme, no one had heard about DVDs yet, HDTV was but a pipe dream, the SNES was the best video game system, and Friends was the new smash hit for NBC, it was the mid nineties all over again.

It made me think back to some of the choices I made growing up, things I thought I wanted to do, things I did that I really didn’t want to do, and I wondered if things could have turned out any differently. What would have happened had I stayed in Michigan my senior year of high school? What if I went to college in Michigan instead of SCAD. What if I stayed all 4 years at SCAD instead of transferring to UCF? What if I had banged the chick I was dating when I moved? There is only one thing I know for sure, and that’s if I hadn’t transferred to UCF I wouldn’t have met Bebe. Other than that, I don’t think too much would have changed for me. Sure, I would have ended up somewhere other than Atlanta, but I don’t think the person I’ve become would be any different. Maybe I’d be in LA, or Chicago, or New York, or Houston, but I’d still be me, the same guy I am now. I could be richer or poor, but still me.

-Steve

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home