Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Can't believe the traffic

Since Bebe has to get up so early to go to school to teach, I've adjusted my hours as well. I did this for two reasons. First, it allows me to keep the same overall hours as Bebe, this way we still get to see each other the same amount of time. Second, I figured that by leaving earlier to go to work I'd save time commuting to and back from work.
 
Now, I can't say how nice my commute home in the afternoons has become. My commute home, a measly 15 miles (if that) would take between 45 and 1:15 minutes if I left after the 5 o'clock hour. It was long term stop and go traffic on the highway. In my view, a lot of the traffic is due to how the entrance and exit ramps on the highways are structured. At any rate, leaving earlier from work allows me to get home in about 15-20 minutes. This gives me, in some cases, almost an hour back for my day since I'm not stuck in traffic.
 
I assumed I would save the same amount of time on my way to work. I travel the same route to work in the morning that I do coming home. I figured that leaving earlier in the morning would save me the same amount of time. I was sorely wrong. For some reason, every soccer mom in the greater northern Atlanta area who drives an enormous SUV for their one kid decides they have to drive their kid to school. I never understood this, considering that public schools provide buses, but nonetheless, that's what everyone does. I'd say close to 20 percent of all the traffic in the morning is mothers driving kids to school.
 
Even so, that's not enough of an increase to slow things down so much. I'm in the car at 6:30 in the morning, and I only have to drive 15 miles and it takes me almost an hour. AN HOUR! I don't even drive on the surface streets. I leave my subdivision and make two quick turns and I'm on the freeway. I get off on an exist, make a quick turn, and I'm at my place of work. I have like two traffic lights, and both of those are at the entrance and exit ramps to the highway. I just don't get it, I just don't get how traffic can be so backed up so early in the morning.
 
-O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home